Saturday, May 26, 2007

Never too old for Star Wars toys, right?

My own way of celebrating the 30th anniversary of A New Hope was to buy some Star Wars toys - err - I mean "collectibles."

I bought a Stormtrooper Combat Engineer action figure a month ago. I think this is my first Star Wars action figure purchase since the 1980s. My young son found it and carried it around with him everywhere. The helmet is actually removable (how cool is that!) and since then he loves to walk around wearing the stormtrooper helmet like a thimble. I love it!

Speaking of my son, I am glad to see the Galactic Heroes action figures, I started stocking up on this line of toys when my wife was pregnant and he his just now at the age of playing with toys like these. His first favorite character is also my favorite figure as a kid - Boba Fett. A few days ago, he lost the figure. My little boy was going around the house calling, "Boooh-bah! Boooh-bah!" I am so proud! (He did find him in the end)

A couple of days ago, I bought the Tie Fighter vehicle. This brought back a lot of memories. I had a Tie Fighter as a kid and loved the spring action wings that would pop-off. That toy is now long gone, lost or thrown away with countless other toys. So, I thought I'd get the latest and greatest version, for old time's sake.

Of course, I had to get something related to the more recent trilogy, so I picked up Darth Vader's Sith Starfighter. This vehicle wasn't in the movies, but it is obviously the vehicle he used immediately after Revenge of the Sith. The style is very similar to the Jedi Starfighter but is taking on more of a Tie Fighter look. 'Course I had to buy a Darth Vader figure to go with the fighter.

Oh and how friggin' cool is this?! I wish they had a toy like this when I was a kid and buying all the Return of the Jedi stuff. Kids these days are so spoiled! I had to use a broomstick and my imagination.

No comments: