Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Top 20 Geek Novels

I came across this list of the Top 20 Geek Novels of all time. I've actually read most of them, so I thought I'd offer up my own comments:

1. The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy -- Douglas Adams
No surprise why this is number one. I saw the TV show version as a kid and loved it. The novels are obviously even better. It is very British humor and great fun. The movie that came out a few years ago is a faithful representation of the late Adams work. Even my sci-fi-hating wife enjoyed it!

2. Nineteen Eighty-Four -- George Orwell
A fascinating yet depressing view of the future. I started my leanings to the political right after reading this book.

3. Brave New World -- Aldous Huxley
Yet another classic of a dystopian future. I read this many years ago, when cloning really was just science fiction. It is sadly even more relevant today.

4. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? -- Philip Dick
I was a huge PKD fan growing up. I've read pretty much all of his novels and short stories. I think the only reason people pick this as a top novel is that it is the basis (loosely) of the movie, Blade Runner. I actually think it is one of his weaker books. My top pick is also the first one I ever read by him - Eye in the Sky.

5. Neuromancer -- William Gibson
This is a fantastic book. It introduced me to the whole cyberpunk culture and provides a glimpse of what the Internet might be some years from now.

6. Dune -- Frank Herbert
I developed my passion for reading after this novel. It is the Lord of the Rings of science fiction. It touches on so many themes ranging from science, politics, religion, ethics, and military. The movie from the 1980s did spoil it somewhat for me. The books are so much better. I've heard that SciFi Channel's mini-series treats this book better. I'll have to check it out sometime.

11. Snow Crash -- Neal Stephenson
Another of the cyberpunk books. I remember really enjoying it but can't think of the details. Corporate sponsorship and control was an overarching theme here.

13. Cryptonomicon -- Neal Stephenson
This is an amazing sci-fi / historical novel about the code-breakers of WWII combined with a present day storyline. These two story arcs intertwine despite the fifty plus years separating the events. It's a long book but worth savoring every page.

16. The Man in the High Castle -- Philip K Dick
Here is another PKD novel (not like I am complaining!). This one is popular because its plot line starts with the question, what if the Allies had lost WWII? The U.S. is split between Japan and Germany. Not my favorite, but I did like it better than Androids.

19. The Illuminatus! Trilogy -- Robert Shea & Robert Anton Wilson
This is a very strange book, steeped in multi-layered conspiracy theories and sci-fi themes. Not something I'd be interested in reading again.

7. I, Robot -- Isaac Asimov
8. Foundation -- Isaac Asimov
I love Asmiov's writing, but am ashamed to say I only started Foundation and have never read I, Robot. I do want to someday. Foundation was going great when I started it many years ago, but I think I got burned out on sci-fi at the time and have yet to return to it.

15. Stranger in a Strange Land -- Robert Heinlein
This seems to be Heinlein's most popular work. I started reading it but could not get into it. Many have recommended The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. The only book I've read of his is Starship Troopers, which was much better than the movie.

9. The Colour of Magic -- Terry Pratchett
This is next on my reading list. I've heard the name, but have never read any of his stuff.

10. Microserfs -- Douglas Coupland
12. Watchmen -- Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons
14. Consider Phlebas -- Iain M Banks
17. American Gods -- Neil Gaiman
18. The Diamond Age -- Neal Stephenson
20. Trouble with Lichen - John Wyndham
Stand on Zanzibar - John Brunner
The Shockwave Rider - John Brunner
I haven't read these other books. I'll have to learn more about them sometime...

Speaking of geek - If you are a child of the 1980s, be sure to take this quiz:
http://mentalfloss.com/quiz/quiz.php?q=335

June 21st Update
Some very astute readers of my blog pointed out the glaring absence of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. This is a book that would definitely be in the Top Five of my own list. It is so good that even my anti-sci-fi wife read it and loved it! Unfortunately, I couldn't get into the sequel and never finished it. I would like to say I hope they make a movie of it, but I'm afraid we'd get another "Starship Troopers".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'd love The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Rob. Buy a copy today, be prepared to discuss next time we meet--your homework. (Don't worry, you'll practically finish it in one sitting.) Also, Glory Road and Starman Jones are two of my favorite Heinlein novels, give them a try as well. But you absolutely must read TMIAHM!

And how on earth Ender's Game isn't on that list is beyond me.

Joe Future said...

I had the same reaction.... In fact, when I saw just the title of this entry, I thought "wow... I can't wait to comment on how great Enders Game is".

Snow Crash - Hiro Protagonist rules VR with his mad coding chops and pixelated samurai sword. Fantastic book. Neal S. predicted much of what eventually became the world wide web.

Neuromancer - I'm still waiting in line for my mirror shade implants. Just find me a doc willing to do the work. Best opening lines to any sci fi novel ever - "The sky above the port was the color of television tuned to a dead channel. It's not like I'm using, Case heard someone say, it's like my body has developed this massive drug defficiency".

Shockwave Rider - often credited with creating the concept of computer virus - in the 1960's! Well worth the read. Well ahead of its time in many ways.

RobNotBob said...

You guys are absolutely right! I can't believe I missed Ender's Game. I'm amending my post...

Thanks!